Requesting an SA302 from HMRC
Pub Date
Income Tax

HMRC has tweeted a reminder to taxpayers who need to request a copy of their SA302 tax calculation. The SA302 tax calculation and tax year overview documents are commonly used as evidence of income for loan or mortgage purposes for the self-employed. The forms have become more widely used since the mortgage rules have required proper evidence of income.

The tax calculation (SA302) shows the breakdown of the income returned on the taxpayers tax return, including commercial versions. The tax year overview confirms the tax due from the return submitted to HMRC and shows any payments made, cross referencing the Tax Calculation with HMRC records.

Self assessment taxpayers can use HMRC’s online service to request a tax year overview or a tax calculation (SA302) for the last three years. It takes 72 hours after an online tax return has been submitted before the documents are available to print. Taxpayers who submit paper tax returns have to contact HMRC to request a paper copy of the documents which can take up to 2 weeks to arrive.  Some lenders will only accept paper copies of the documents.